Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorites when it comes to guilt free meals. Its versatile, its sweet (no kidding lol), its a healthy food choice that wont leave you starving after 15 minutes and it wont break the bank.
I have never been a soup kinda gal but, I was recently browsing through cook books in search of some food inspiration and there it was. The most beautiful photo showcasing a bowl of creamy sweet potato soup. I literally went straight to my kitchen to pull out the ingredients and thought about a few ways I could add my own twist to the already awesome recipe.
To give the nutritional content a boost, I was so excited to try adding a few super foods. I opted for turmeric, baobab powder and maca root powder, and it was the GOAT! (Greatest of all time)
Here is the full ingredient list:
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 small onion
- ¼ red pepper
- ½ cup of chopped parsley
- ½ cup of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic and ginger
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon of maca root powder
- ¼ teaspoon of baobab powder
- 5% sour cream (For a dairy free version use coconut cream)
- Boil the sweet potatoes and carrots until they are soft.
- Chop the onion, red pepper and parsley and put them in the blender while you wait for the sweet potatoes and carrots to boil.
- Once they are soft, put them in the blender with all items except the seasoning and spices, you will add those later. Blend mixture until smooth.
- Once you are happy with the consistency, go ahead and pour that mixture into an empty pot on low heat.
- Add the seasonings and spices. (TIP: Add them in gradually and do a taste test. Add more if required)
- Lastly, add a cream of your choice. I used 5% sour cream.
- I added another teaspoon of sour cream to my bowl and gave it a little swirl (because it looks pretty) then I sprinkled some grated cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!